Sunday, February 28, 2021

Snow & Sew

We had another good ten-inch snowfall on the night of the 24th.  The next day I had a mammogram appointment and after I was done being squished I waked through the hospital's outside courtyard to  admire the lovely view of Mount Sanitas.        



The courtyard has several sculptures which were fun to see, and I especially was taken by this one.   



The joy of these two dancers reflected the surge of joy I've been feeling this week as we watch Colorado's vaccine numbers increase and the rates of hospitalizations decrease.  Our Governor has made the optimistic projection that everyone who wants a vaccine can have one by early summer, which is a joyous thing to hope for.   More immediately, Ben and I are really looking forward to seeing close friends inside without masks, which should happen by the end of April.   We're beginning to joke about how we'll have to move the "office" off the dining room table. 

Thinking about the state of the house led me to seriously consider how to fit an ironing station in my sewing studio, something that I've wanted ever since I moved in.   I have a small wool pad and iron next to my machine and it is convenient for ironing seams as I create blocks and other small units, but I have to haul the big ironing board out of the closet and set it up in the hall when I need to iron anything larger than about 8x10".   So I thought and thought and finally realized that the old sewing cabinet/table I used with my first sewing machine would have to go.   I just use that machine as a backup and I was using the table basically as a desk, which was not a priority for my sewing space.  

You can see it here, jammed up next to my very useful floor to ceiling built-in bookcase.   The desk blocked access to the bottom shelves and took up a lot of space, but it has sentimental value since Ben bought it for me way back in the 80's,  when money was tight and a special sewing table was a big treat.    



I finally had the idea to move it down to the basement.  Maybe in a few months I'll sell it, but meanwhile it can sit down there out of the way.  We had a rolling butcher-block topped cart that we'd used in our kitchen before it was remodeled and I realized it was the perfect height and size for an ironing station.  It's been in the office but wasn't really need there, so I topped it with a pressing board Ben and I made using Leah Day's excellent instructions and it works perfectly for ironing and holding ironing supplies.  I love having it, I love the pretty blue of the cover, and I love how I can fully use the bookshelves. 


Here's how it sits to the right of my machine.  This shows the two little pressing mats I used for a day or two before we made the new pressing board. 



As I worked in the room I was struck by how shabby my daybed looked.  It was covered with several fleece blankets to protect the upholstery,  a bed sheet and pillow for sleeping, and stacks of fabrics and quilts.  In short, it looked a mess!  I didn't need to protect the sofa as Turbo never hangs out on there; for some reason he stays clear of my studio which is really a good thing.   I don't sleep there anymore since I've cured my insomnia with "sleep aids,"  and I hate having stacks of fabric around.  So I cleared everything off  and it looks soothing and appealing now.   

So what have I been doing in this studio?  Making things from scraps.  I have too many small pieces of fabric and decided to get rid of some by making a few scrap quilts.  
This batik strip piece top is underway.  Not sure how big it will get and what will happen to it; most likely will end up given to "charity."  I think my next step will be to add a piano key border using the same type of scraps.   


And I finished this small top, also for charity.   This one used half square triangles, which I haven't sewn in a million years, so it was kind of fun to figure out how to make them.  The border wasn't exactly a scrap, but I'd had it a while and liked how it gave the top a more modern feel. 


I've had this piece of flannel for a few years and decided to put it on the back.  This quilt needed some "kid like" fabric, and this fit the bill while also using it up.   And how about those thread colors?  Yummy.  They are heavier than what I usually use, so that will be interesting. 


Well, let me end by just saying that snow, cold, and sewing don't stop walking and hiking around here.  

On Friday the wind was howling but we did a four-mile hike anyway, up the Homestead trail, one of my favorites.  This photo of Ben gives you no idea of how gusty and strong the wind was as we started out.  I would have turned back but Ben was really excited about the hike, saying the wind was "exhilarating."  Whatever.  I pulled my scarf tighter around my neck and continued we up, up, up and finally rounded a bend and we were out of the brunt of the raging, howling, gusts.  Then I got my reward with a very pleasant descent back down to the trailhead.   Turbo was a trooper and never complained about the wind, instead busying himself with digging little snow tunnels with his nose whenever I paused for a quick rest.  


 Yesterday there was very little wind and I had a hiking date with my friend Sara.  We ended up doing five miles up and around through the park.   I love hiking with her because we stop and look at things, which is both interesting and gives me a chance to catch my breath.  Here's Sara looking so colorful against the snow. 


And here's one of the interesting things we saw.  It's the Maize Bear, one of the fifteen artist-decorated bear statues now on display in the park for Winterfest.   I hear the bears will be auctioned off this spring and think he'd look great in my yard!

Photo by Sara Tollefson-King



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!