Monday, June 7, 2021

On the Camera

It's June and that means the iris are in bloom.  This one is especially pretty, don't you think?  Belongs to a neighbor, and not to me, but I can certainly enjoy it!    


And the early poppies are also open.  Isn't this one devine?  I love poppies.  The ones in our garden are all "late" varieties and haven't opened yet, but they will soon.  As will the peonies and roses.  By the end of June the whole neighborhood will be a riot of color.  


Usually we can look forward to seeing a large stand of poppies in the meadow in front of the Flatirons, shown in this photo I took in June 2019.  Unfortunately, the city decided that poppies are "invasive" and ripped them out last fall, which was quite sad.  


But I've spotted a few survivors, such as this lone soldier.  I sure hope it multiplies!  


Did you notice all the green in these photographs?  I can assure you it's not usually this green around here, even in the springtime.  But this year we've had plenty of rain, so much that the drought in the Denver area has been declared over; yippee! (Though other parts of the state are still suffering.)  Our 3.65 inches of rain in May left everything green and beautiful.  It seems to also have brought a high amount of yellow dusty pollen which made a big mess and has left us all coughing and sneezing more than usual.  But a little pain is worth all the beauty, right?  Turbo's red coat sure looks good against that green. 


Ran across this cute photo of Paul and his friend Bryan from back east, along with Bryan's girlfriend, Bella.  They came out here last year and liked it so much that they came back again in May.  It was great to see them. 


I love this photo I took of fun bottles lined up on the bar at Jax Seafood House. 


I was quite charmed by these three ducks in a row by the irrigation ditch in the cemetery near our house.  


Turbo studied them for a while before deciding they were boring compared to the gang of squirrels who run up and down the trees and otherwise taunt him when we walk through the cemetery.   


June means graduation for some young people, including my two nephews who graduated from high school in nearby Niwot.  It was a well managed ceremony with excellent talks by the Principal and three students, and the weather was delightful.  Everyone was happy and had a good time.  


 
But probably the boy's parents were the happiest! Big smiles all around!  


We've been doing a lot of yard work, though I find no photos of any of it.  I do have photos of my studio work, including this one which shows a little piece as it sat for months waiting for me to figure out what to do with it.  I liked the hand stitching I'd added to the center and needed to stitch the large vertical area of the orange/brown fabric,  but how?  


I thought some more hand stitching would be fun and found a stitch called "the sheaf stitch."  It took a bit of practice but after I mastered it and added some to the bottom of the orange/brown area on the left, I didn't like it.  


It was easy to rip out, and I decided to use machine stitching instead.  Here you can see that I added geometric spirals on the bottom sections and curved ones at the top. Then I faced the edges to neaten them up.  Once the whole thing was finished I decided that no, it wasn't.  It needed a band of turquoise around the edge as a contrast.  So I made another little quilt to serve as a background and provides that contrasting edge of that cool turquoise fabric which I love so much.  It's still not officially "done" as I still have to tack the two quilts together, make a hanging sleeve for the back, create and sew on a label, and take better photos of it.   Whew!  Sometimes it seems like these last steps are just work; all the fun parts are over and you just have to put your nose to the grindstone and finish up! 


I'm eager to move onto a new project.  I've taken three of the photos I made of sunflowers last year and had them printed on large pieces of fabric, a service which various companies are offering nowadays.  And I've collected an interesting group of fabrics that compliments those photos.  So the project is putting them all together somehow into a cool art quilt.    


Lots of fun ahead!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!