Sunday, January 28, 2024

January 26: A Great Snorkel and a Great Restaurant

Look who is swimming with the turtles!  Yup, that’s me and Ben swimming with the turtles while we have our photos taken by John O’Leary, a professional photographer.  I got interested in hiring John when I saw his lovely underwater photos on Facebook.  I wanted some good photos of the amazing fish and creatures we saw when we snorkeled, and I didn’t want to have to shoot them myself.  So for a joint Christmas present Ben and I decided to hire John to do it for us. In addition to the photos we’d have a knowledgeable person to take us to a cool snorkeling site when we came to Maui.  

I was delighted when John suggested that he take us to Honokeana Cove, right outside the Napili Point condo where I stayed last January when I came to Maui with my sister Jean and our  friend Janice.  I had a broken shoulder then and couldn’t snorkel,  and have really wanted to now that I’m better.  But it has a rocky entry which seemed daunting. 

John said that he knew an easier, though secret, way to get in.  And indeed he did!  We had a great time and while “swimming with the turtles” wasn’t exactly my goal, I think the photo are fun.  







Another thing I wanted to do this trip was to eat at Joey’s Kitchen in the Lahaina Gateway.  

While following the news about the disastrous fire in Lahaina last August, I was impressed by how this local restaurant served free meals to the displaced local families for several months and I wanted to show my support by eating there now that it has reopened for regular business.  

The only problem was that I don’t much care for Hawaiian food.  Plate lunches with their scoop of macaroni salad and another scoop of white rice isn’t my thing.  But we went anyway in a show of solidarity for the restaurant’s good works and boy, was I surprised!  It turned out to be fine cooking served in a casual, friendly setting, and we loved it enough to eat it twice in one day!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!