Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Happy Birthday, Grandma!

My Mom turned eighty-eight today. She celebrated by having a crab cake lunch at Cantler's Riverside Restaurant in Annapolis and then a big hot fudge sundae at the Double T Diner. My sister Jean was with us and we talked about old times.

My mother has often said that the best days were when her kids were young, so I thought this would be a good time to share this photograph, taken back when I was about a year old and Jean hadn't been born yet. My Dad was in the service and they didn't have much, but my Mom was happy raising her children and making a home.

Later, when my father left the military and we settled here in Maryland, she worked for twenty years in the drapery department at Montgomery Wards, where she became a font of knowledge about draperies and window coverings. Still, her family continued to be her focus, and as her children married and our extended family grew, I learned from her how a heart can also expand to encompass all the new members of an ever-growing family.

My Mom puts her love into action in many ways and her children, her grandchildren, and her many great-grandchildren love and appreciate her. One of the cards she received today said that she was "an example of a life well-lived." I couldn't agree more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!