Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Visit to Jean's House

I drove down to my sister's house in southern Maryland yesterday to see how she had redecorated her dining room.  I don't get to Jean's house much since I usually see her when she's up this way or we meet in Annapolis.  Jean and her husband, Dave, moved to Huntingtown when they married over thirty years ago.  They both love fixing up their house and they've made it into a warm and comfortable gathering place for their large and extended family. 

As I took a house tour, I was especially struck by how they had incorporated items from Mom's house into their decor.  I think Mom would be happy to see her belongings treasured in this way.  

The spoon rack holding the silver spoons collected by both Mom and her mother is now hanging in Jean and Dave's dining room. 


Two of her large plates are featured on the opposite dining room wall, next to the quilt I made for Jean and Dave's twentieth wedding anniversary.


The wooden chair that was in Mom's TV room is now in Jean and Dave's living room.


Her writing desk is upstairs in Jean's sitting room, where it is used as a dressing table.  


The Baltimore Orioles stained glass wall hanging is part of an upstairs room that is decorated in a sports motif. 


 And two of Mom's embroidery pieces are hanging in Jean's family room.


Dad's barometer is now in Dave's garage, along with other wall decorations. (I had to laugh at the "Have a Nice Day...Somewhere else" plaque!) 


And out in the backyard was the old black iron glider that sat on Mom's side porch for many years. 


It was a beautiful spot to sit and enjoy the glorious fall day and the sweet peace of Jean and Dave's home.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!