Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Best Lobster

When you go to Maine the big thing is finding the "very best lobster."  About a week before we left for Maine I was in a store buying something and it turned out that the saleslady had just come back from Maine and I couldn't get out of there without her telling me where she thought the very best lobster could be found.   Trip Advisor and Chow Hound are full of "the best lobster" talk; I guess it's kind of like who has the best Maryland crabs.  

Now frankly, this kind of talk doesn't excite me.  I mean all Maine lobster is good isn't it?  And we  know that all Maryland crab is good.  So why make a big deal about what is the very best?

But when we landed rather unexpectedly at the Lobster Dock in Boothbay, Maine, yesterday, on our way back to Portland from Bar Harbor, it didn't take long before Ben and I both found ourselves exclaiming, "This is the very best!" The setting was perfect, a spacious well appointed restaurant with three seating areas right on the scenic Boothbay harbor.   The lobsters were cooked in big vats of boiling water in front of you, and the corn and the clam steamers were cooked in the same net bag along with "your" lobster.  The lobster roll which we had as an appetizer was warm and dressed with butter and a grilled bun.  The lobster dinner came with the corn and a plump biscuit and tasty coleslaw.   And they served French wine; what more could you want? 

It was heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!