Thursday, October 15, 2015

Love at First "Sew"

As if October wasn't busy enough --I've been way over scheduled and the month seems to be flying by --I decided that now is the time to buy a new sewing machine.  This was an exciting task but it did require a lot of research, both online and in the sewing machine stores. 

I had a list of the features I wanted, the over riding one being a machine that loves to do free motion quilting.  The two Pfaffs I've been using had their strengths back when I bought them twenty years ago or so but free motion quilting never was among them.

Here's my new baby, a Bernina 740.  Yes, it has a lot of bells and whistles which will be fun to use, and the space from the needle to the right side wall is 10" which is large for a standard sewing machine and perfect for quilting, but the main reason I bought it is that it actually seems to purr when it does free motion work.  I loved the smoothness of the ride, the hum of the motor, and the way it seemed so happy as it worked.   It was love at first sew!


For my quilting readers, here's the hot contender, the Janome Horizon 8900.  Plenty of good in this package and at a very good price, but in the end I was won over by the Bernina's easy to use dual feed, its attractive and fast display panel, and the overall smoothness of its free motion operation.




The outcome of purchasing any appliance nowadays is chancy, but I'm hopeful that my new Bernina and I will have a long and affectionate relationship.  We're certainly off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!