Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Frisco, Colorado, has a new fan!


Paul's friend, Alex, has returned home to Maryland leaving us with pleasant memories of his visit.  On Sunday we drove up I-70 to Frisco, high up in the Rocky Mountains.  While Frisco itself doesn't have ski runs, it is within thirty miles of several popular places to ski -- Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone, Loveland Ski Area, Arapahoe Basin, and Vail.   We went to try out cross country skiing and tubing at the Frisco Adventure Park and we had a great time. 


I've tried cross country skiing a few times but this was my most successful attempt.  I didn't go with the guys on the intermediate loop but with the skillful encouragement of Molly, the ski coach, I managed to go up and down this little hill five times without falling, and that was a big deal for me. 



The tubing hill sure looked steep when I first saw it.  I wondered just how old one should be before you stopped doing things like tubing, and I almost sat it out in the warm and cozy lodge.  But then I thought "I'm only 66!" and went for it.  So glad I did.  It was way too much fun to miss. 



We stayed at the Frisco Inn on Galena Street, a very comfortable and friendly inn a block off of Main Street.


Its complimentary happy hour was exceptional with good wine and chef-cooked appetizers.  Ben and I relaxed in the hot tub, the boys enjoyed the game room with its fussball and pool table, and we all ate our fill of the cooked-to-order gourmet breakfast.  When the chef heard how much Paul loves Chocolate Chip pancakes he decided to make them the morning special!


Our two days of fun flew by and now Alex has gone home, Paul is back in school, and the "daily grind" has begun again, at least for a few days.  

This is a busy January!  Next up is my sister-in-law's  return for a long weekend to celebrate the birthday of her twin sons on Friday.  She hasn't seen her new home here since she returned in mid-August to Virginia to finish her last few months of work before she retires and moves here for good the first of February.  It'll be great to see her. 

3 comments:

  1. The tubing looks like a blast!!! I haven't been to Frisco in 20 years, but I when I was in junior high we were downhill ski racers and I remember staying there for races at both Breckenridge and copper mountain because it was a bit cheaper than staying in the towns themselves. Fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a good thing for Paul to keep in contact with long distance friends. This town sounds terrific. I want to go now! I am not as brave as you on the tube. I did X-country skiing when I lived in Canada, and it's not simple. I never quite felt my balance. Great workout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frisco looks beautiful! My aunt and uncle have a home there (their other place is in Fredericksburg, Texas). I haven't tried x-county skiing yet - we bought a small place at Deep Creek Lake last year, so there are many opportunities to try it! Someday I will! Hope all is well with you guys! Say hello to Ben and Paul from me!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!