Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Around Here

 Around here the roses are having a great year.  These are some from my garden.



And these pretties are from Elfriede's garden.



Elfrieda owns a fabric store here in Boulder that's been in business for 43 years.  When I walked in the other day I was hit by a beautiful strong odor and looked around to see what it could be from.  Elfriede saw me looking and joyfully proclaimed "It's from my 100 year old roses!"  And indeed it was.   I'd never seen roses with this type of center and I think they are lovely.


Around here our thoughts often turn to Ecuador, where Paul is touring with a school group.  Before he left for the Galapagos Islands he managed to text a few photos of Quito.  



And he posted this one on Instagram. We did get to talk with him the first night he was in Quito and learned that our picky eater had found some good things to eat including potatoes and dark chocolate!


Around here we've been working hard on gardening and painting the wood trim on the new posts on the patio.  But we're also enjoying some down time.   I really enjoyed going out to the movie theater to watch RBG, a documentary about Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  I had no idea of all the legal work she did in the 70's to establish rights for women.  Working on the ACLU's Women's Rights Project, she argued several cases related to the employment of women before the Supreme Court, winning all but one.   I started working in 1974 and my career would have been very different without people like RBG working so hard to promote the equality of women. 



And around here I've been making more time for reading.  A friend gave me this book which she described as a "page turner," which it certainly was.  Set during the siege of Leningrad in WWII, it has plenty of ugly war related vignettes, but also the story of an unlikely friendship and of adventure and courage.  


We've had some hot weather the past two weeks and tomorrow will again be in the low 90's.  It's a good time to chill out on the patio and pet your cat.  Around here it's summertime and the living is easy!



Joining my friend LeeAnna's "I Like" Thursday, at Not Afraid of Color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!