Monday, October 22, 2018

Change is in the Air


Things seem different since our return from Sicily.  

When we left, the tree in this photograph hadn't begun changing colors and the weather was hot.  We came back to find that Autumn had arrived.  Instead of sleeping with all the windows open and the balcony doors wide open, everything is closed up against the chilly nights.  

Since our schedules aren't tied to the high school's, Ben and I get up at 7:30 instead of 6:30. And without my volunteer work for the high school music program, I have a lot more free time.  

We came back to find that our Meals on Wheels route had changed substantially.  Some of our regulars are off the route now and several new people have been put on.  

I'm still getting used to not having Spikey around, and during his two weeks of being boarded at the vet, Fetcher transitioned into a real lap cat.  He now only goes outside for short visits, a far cry from his old roaming and hunting.  

My Pilates lessons have come to an abrupt halt since my wonderful Pilates teacher is suddenly seriously ill. 

Well, if there's one thing we know, it's that change is constant and we adjust.  The sprinkler system has been blown out for the season, we removed the frost-damaged annuals from their summer pots, and took in the furniture we won't need on the patio this winter.   I'll move my summer clothes to the back of my closet and think about buying a new pair of boots.  I'll miss Spikey and enjoy Fetcher.  We'll get to know the new folks on our MOW route.  

Fall is always a time of change.  It's just that this year a lot of it happened while we were away or happened abruptly, and is taking a bit more to get used to.     



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!