Thursday, November 8, 2018

Thursday Thoughts


It's a brisk, cold morning and foggy mist is obscuring our views of the 1st Flatiron.  The weather makes me think about the approaching holidays.  As the years have gone by I've tried to focus on what I truly enjoy about Thanksgiving and Christmas and make plans to do more of those things and less of others.  This year I'm looking forward to Historic Boulder's Holiday House tour and CU's Holiday concert.   




We don't buy many gifts around here and I probably would have missed reading the gift guide published by a local Denver magazine, 5280, except that it included a nice blurb on Cocktail Punk, the company that Paul is working for during his gap year.  It was exciting to see its owner, our friend Raymond, featured.    
     
It seems like a lot is going on here.  We had a flood in part of Paul's basement bedroom with water running down the foundation and into the basement after a gutter extender was left in the "up" position for a while.  Ugh, water sure can make a big mess!  Photoshop quit working for a few days until I finally deleted a bunch of old files from my computer, which is never a fun task.  And Fetcher had to have four teeth removed.  More "Ugh"!


I've been doing some hand stitching on this little piece, and am now thinking about how to use the black and white checked fabric in in.  I may use it as a binding but probably not all the way around the edge.


I've also learning more about Photoshop, especially how to clip out a part of one image and then add it to another.  Here's one that Paul helped me with.

photo from the Colorado Springs Gazette 

Colorado's election results were very encouraging to me with the Democrats winning the Governor's seat, all of the state offices (such as Attorney General), and both the state House and Senate, though by just a slim margin.  Our new governor is openly gay and also Jewish, and Boulder's new U.S. Representative is the first African American in that office.  A long standing Republican U.S. representative for the Denver suburbs was voted out.  On the other hand, the initiative to prohibit fracking within 2500 feet of homes, schools, and playgrounds didn't pass.  Its defeat wasn't unexpected since gas and oil spent $41 million to fight it and I like to think that the very fact that it got on the ballot may encourage the industry to move more slowly with their fracking plans.  Now it's on to the 2020 election, when I hope to see Republican Senator Cory Gardner defeated.    

Well, regardless of politics or things that make me go "Ugh!", there's always the beauty of this area to make me smile.  Just check out the lovely light on the trees and rocks that we saw on our hike up Lost Canyon the other day.  Nothing like getting outside to buoy up my spirits!    



1 comment:

  1. I'm likin that wreath on your door. Congrats on all the Dems elected there and to the cool diverse winners. Fracking in Colorado- how horrible. I wish fracking was banned everywhere-it is stupid and so dangerous-just look at Oklahoma with their 100's of earthquakes. Colorado is just so beautiful and comforting. Have a great day! mary

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!