Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Another Lovely Christmas

We didn't have a White Christmas, but our warm and sunny weather more than made up for it.  

Ben and I walked downtown for dinner on Friday and were amazed at how clear the night sky was, perfect for admiring the full moon and the pretty holiday lights the city had put up along Pearl Street and the Civic Center.  



On Saturday I got to do one of most favorite things, watching Paul's ska band play.  They had a gig up in Jamestown, about a twenty minute drive up into the mountains.  Band members who were home from college joined the gig and the place was rocking!  I admired Ben's tenacity in staying for the entire two hour performance; he loves Paul but ska isn't his favorite music.   Our friend Inger who joins me in her love of this lively and clever music, went with us and by the second set we were up and dancing the night away.  


Sunday was a gorgeous day for a long hike so Ben and I and Lotus drove about thirty minutes to hike Table Mountain, a large mesa overlooking the town of Golden and with wonderful views southeast towards Denver.   

  
photo by Marilo Elizando

The first order of business was to get up to the top of the mesa.  This involved a steady uphill hike of .7 miles which even the guidebook admitted was "a bit of a challenge."  Now when a Colorado hiking guide saids that you know it's going to be a climb.  But just when I was thinking I might not make it I was passed by a mountain biker, and I figured if she could do it so could I! 


Once we were at the top, there were several reasonably flat loops to hike or bike.  Weekends bring a lot of mountain bikers up there and we were were passed rather regularly.  I have to say they were the most polite bikers I've ever seen, all of them politely calling out when they approached from behind and then thanking us as they passed.   This photo shows how you can see Denver from way up there.  It was a fun hike, though at 6 miles it was a long one for me. 

photo by MTB Project 

 Lotus and her husband Dan came over to celebrate Christmas Eve with us, which was very enjoyable.  Paul hung around with us for a while and Dan, who is an excellent photographer, gave Paul some tips as he took photos of the lovely Christmas roses.  Ben made some excellent Chicken Schnitzel and we had a delicious Buche de Noel which we ordered from the French cafe.  After Lotus and Dan left Paul talked us into opening all the presents, which was quite fun.  And a good thing, too, since we all slept late the next morning.   



My friend Lee Anna and her husband drove over from southeast Denver for lunch and a visit on Christmas Day and we took their standard poodle, Milo, for a walk on west Pearl Street.  We stopped to see the huge Christmas tree at the historic Boulderado Hotel which dates from 1908.  The place was packed with people and it was very festive.   



 The shop next door had an interesting window display of logs painted with inspirational words, just right for thinking about resolutions for the new year.  Here's Lee Anna taking a photo for her blog.


We were invited over to Christmas dinner at Ray and Paula's, which was very kind of them considering they had a full table with Paula's brother, sister-in-law, niece, and mother as well as Ray and Paula's daughter and son-in-law.   I always enjoy visiting with Paula's family and Ray's home-cured pastrami was a special treat.   All the excitement tuckered Gus right out!


It was a joyful holiday.  I never got the candy cane cookies made or put out the Department 56 Christmas village, and only got cards sent out to my brothers and my sister, but I sure enjoyed sharing the holiday with friends and with Ben and Paul. 



Linking to my friend, Lee Anna's "I Like Thursday" blog, celebrating the small but important joyful aspects of daily life as a counterpart to the constant drumroll of news and politics. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas with lots of friends and family around! What an amazing view from your hike! Wondering if Mike and I could manage that first .7 mile, but it sounds like it would be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful Christmas! Your photos are wonderful especially of the Christmas roses. I think it was a slow year for Christmas cards, I only managed to get a few out and we didn't get nearly as many as last year. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh-the beautiful sights of Colorado. How fun you got to spend time with Paul. Lee Anna looks so cute in that hat. That Christmas tree is just stunning. Glad you had such a fun week. Happy New Year. mary

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!