Friday, January 18, 2019

A trio of journal quilts

One of my quilting goals for 2019 is to make a journal quilt every week or two.  A journal quilt is generally a small original fiber art work made quickly as a way to explore new techniques.  Often they record some element of the creators' life.  

Making them is meant to be a fun and playful, but to do so on a regular basis requires a serious time commitment.  I made three during November to see if I liked the process, and found that I did.  

The first was about our recently deceased cat Fetcher and how I keep feeling his presence in my studio as I work.  It featured a photo of him sitting on my cutting table, used a background of irregular fabrics fused to a batting, and was titled "My friendly studio ghost."  The photo was transferred to fabric using a method involving the cleaning fluid Citrosolve and the thin border around the photo was a hand-stitched stem stitch of thick cotton thread.  


 On the back I stamped messages of thanks and love.  You can see how the little piece was a combination of various techniques and also a memento of something I was feeling when I made it, and I added hand-written captions on the back to help me remember the impetus for the piece when I come across it in the future. 



The second journal quilt attempted to capture a funny moment with Paul as he wrapped a present for his friend Tommy in orange post it notes.   Click here to read my blog entry about it.  For this journal quilt I chose Paul's favorite color, green, for the background, and tried to show the package, complete with it's purple note for warning TSA that this was a Christmas present, and the many strips of scotch tape that Paul used to secure the gift.  

Unlike Fetcher's piece, which was very easy to make, this one was a real challenge.  It taught me that I really don't know anything about using shading to create dimension, and that led me to sign up for Annette Kennedy's online class Painted Pictorial Quilts, on www.mbluprint.com.  


I wrote the label for this piece on my computer and printed it on fabric which I then fused to the back.  It worked well and I decided to use printed labels for all the journal quilts I make this year. 


As New Year's approached I wanted to use a piece of fabric I had created recently by painting with stencils that my friend LeeAnna had given me.  I loved this fabric and it felt like a celebration to me, perfect for the New Year festivities.  But it was the wrong size for the 8x10" I was aiming for with these little quilts and the regularity of the small dotted section didn't quite fit with the rest of the fabric.


 So I took a deep breath and cropped that part off.  Then I cut those little dots into strips and played around with it on the design wall for a few days.



But I finally decided those little dots weren't going to work out so I cut the fabric with the large dots into the rectangle I needed.  Some sections were too empty so I painted on some additional lines.  I liked that but decided it needed something more to communicate the idea of a new year, so I found my old number stencils and painted 2019 in four of the big dots. 

Now I had a good looking piece of painted fabric but wanted to add some fiber elements, so I stitched around the dots and lines and couched on the gold braid. 


Here's the final piece.


I like making journal quilts but found they took more time than I expected.  I'm going to aim for making one a week during 2019 but not fret if I only finished one or two a month.  They are lots of fun and fun is why I make fiber pieces, so why not kick back and enjoy the process?  

Linking to Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays.

6 comments:

  1. i like how you used the gifted fabric with your own solution to reach your goal. Your attitude is also healthy on making and finishing! A happy new year of making to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's exciting. Annette's class is full of info isn't it? I haven't taken the class since it went to bluprint and am on #4 I think. Glad you used the stencils so imaginatively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo transfer with the citra solve, worked very well, nice clear pic of your beloved

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting and instructive, Mary! It's so commendable that you take the time to record the steps in the process. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing all the details and process. I like all of them. But, I especially like Paul's present.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of my kitties who are waiting at the rainbow bridge visit me in my dreams. We visit, play, cause all sorts of trouble, and when done, occasionally, I wake up rested from my visit. -Johnny

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!