Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Wildflowers in Chautauqua Meadow



I'm rather astonished to realize that it's already nearing the end of June.  We have, in fact, already experienced the longest day of sunlight for 2020 and it's just a fact that the days are getting shorter and autumn will be here before we know it. 

Since I've been a grown up ---well, when would that be? I'd say from the time I started working at the Library of Congress.  So since I was twenty-four I've felt like I've been hurtling through time.  I could understand this sense of time pressing down when I was working full time and getting two graduate degrees, then handling more responsibilities at work, and becoming a mother.  But after retiring from the Library in 2006, I expected to chill out.  Instead I picked up a job as the librarian at  Paul's school and learned that school staff work hard!  Every day and the "summers off" flew by.  Then, after coming to Boulder and really becoming retired, I expected to slow down but it just didn't happen.

Time just keeps on rushing by.  After we were in the shut down for two months and I was still feeling so darn busy I finally faced the fact that busy was a normal pace for me.  The great thing about having such a full life is that I'm never bored, but the bad thing is that I always feel time breathing down my back.

So how about if you join me in taking a few minutes to pause and stop and smell the roses?  Or, more specifically, appreciate the beautiful wildflowers that are gracing the meadow up in Chautauqua Park right now? 

Breathe deep and enjoy!  Just don't ask me their names.  As a friend said, "I've given up trying to remember, and now just admire them."  (Though I can tell you that the first one is a thistle and I think the last one is Queen Anne's lace.)








Linking to my friend LeeAnna's "I Like Thursdays" at Not Afraid of Color

5 comments:

  1. Lovely wildflowers, Mary. We have had a long, wet Spring here and the purple thistles are just now bursting into glory.

    Rian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. I grew up in WEstern New York State, near the “real” Chautauqua, and didn’t realize how the name has been in other places. Thanks for jogging my memories of my youth. Stay healthy and safe! Jill in Calgary/Phoenix
    Jill McCaughey at shaw dot ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could paint those from your pictures they are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they made me smile! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful images! Yes, I think you're right, being retired seems to mean being busier than ever. 🙃 Chautauqua Meadow is a beautiful area as you so deftly demonstrate with these lovely images. Cheers for a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!