Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Six Things Making Me Smile Right Now

There is no end of things in the news that are making me upset/unhappy/scared/worried, etc., etc. so it's a good time to think about the things that are making me smile (in addition, of course, to Paul and Ben and Turbo).

1. I've had a fun time quilting lately.  I quilted this cute piece of store-bought fabric and it magically turned into an "ABC Quilt" that eventually will go to a child in need.  I hope it will make them smile. 


And I started learning a new technique for sewing fabric pieces together into an image using several online tutorials by a fellow blogger, Rian Ammerman.   I've got the basic leaf shape done so at least you can get an idea of what I'm working on. 


2.  I've gotten into a new-to-me Netflix series, Call My Agent.  The Paris setting pulled me in as this time last year we were in Paris, but the interesting characters and storyline are keeping me watching.  
  

3.  My birthday is fast approaching and my sweet husband has bought me a gift.  He loves to give me gifts as soon as he buys them, whereas I enjoy getting them on the actual big day.  So I'm resisting opening it early and he is tempting me by stowing the package next to his recliner where I can catch glimpse of it as I walk by.   In the photo you can spot the box under the open box on top. It's a fun game to see which of us will give in first!  


4.  I've taken to driving Turbo downtown so we can walk along Boulder Creek and watch all the summertime action.  Tubing is very popular....


...as is just hanging out.  Turbo enjoys meeting dogs and people, as do I, so we have a good time.


5.  When was the last time you ate carrot raisin salad?  It's been years for us but it's back in the rotation for the summer, which is making Ben and me happy.  Here's a good recipe with not too much mayonnaise and no added sugar. 

photo from Simply Recipes

6.  The dahlias and zinnias are blooming in my garden!  Need we say more?



Linking to my friend LeeAnna's "I Like Thursdays" at Not Afraid of Color

5 comments:

  1. Just caught up on your wonderful posts Mary. Thanks for sharing the bits and pieces and food too of your life. Yes, I agree...you look very happy and relaxed in that photo. I've been making carrot raisin salad and also cabbage salad and do try to keep the mayonnaise and sugar minimal. We both enjoyed Call My Agent...so nice to see a completely different setting for some shows.
    I wonder what is in that box??

    ReplyDelete
  2. carrot salad... yum haven't had that in years. Gotta check out that show, is it in english? A birthday gift taunting you? Wait...
    husbands are virtually untrainable aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tubing looks fun! That quilted leaf is really cool looking. Good luck holding out at peeking at your gift! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious about the leaf you made as it is stunning. What a fun idea for the birthday box. It has been years since I had carrot raisin salad and yet we almost always have carrots on hand. What healthy zinnias-the color is so bright. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kiddo quilt is awesome. Love your leaf! LOL Birthday box. How fun to see the kiddos out and about instead of inside. My great grandmother used to make carrot and apple salad with raisins too. Occasionally I get a hankering and make some. Your zinnias are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!