Wednesday, December 27, 2023

December 27: Christmas, Quilting, and a Full Moon

Boulder received about an inch and a half of snow on Saturday the 23rd.  The low temps kept it from melting so we had a White Christmas!  It was perfect; just enough to make everything lovely and festive and not enough to cause any traffic difficulties. This is not our wreath or our fence --I spotted it while walking Turbo in the neighborhood on Sunday-- but it sure says "Merry Christmas." 


In our home we've been enjoying these lovely flowers from the local florist which I selected Friday from their "Weekly special." The red and white carnations are called  "Candy Cane" and used to be wildly popular.  I love them and was glad to find them for sale. 


I finished the Christmas tree table runner just in time for Christmas dinner.  I had made the tree out of tiny bits of various green fabrics last year, ran across it this year, and vowed to finish it, which I did! It's made of leftover scraps from previous holiday projects and I just put it together in a way that I liked without using a pattern, so it was a lot of fun. 


We had invited five friends over for a lucious Christmas dinner of crab cakes and scallops, and the seating of all of us was made so much easier with our new sliding patio door providing the space the old swinging door had taken.  Then about 6:00 Raymond and Paula came bearing caviar and homemade blinis to have with champagne, so it was a full and fun day.  Paul visited most of the day and made Turbo very happy by paying attention to him when everyone else was busy. 


Yesterday was cleanup day.  Today was devoted to entering three small quilts in an online show.  Two were finished and I "just" needed to do the entry paperwork which meant making sure the photos were formatted correctly and writing both a "materials" statement and an "art statement."  I keep them both very short!  But there was one piece that needed to be completed.  So I knuckled down to the job, finished the stitching on it, and bound the edges with a facing.  Once that was done I took the required photographs and wrote up the entry.  It was all a good half day's work and I'm glad to get it finished so I can relax as we move into the new year. 

Here is the new piece, which is 16x17"in size and made with my own hand dyed, stamped, and painted fabrics. 


And a detail: 

I didn't have any idea when I started what it would turn into, but along the way I realized it reminded me of old traditional "bar quilts," like this Amish one, so I named it Bars.

from the John Moran company website

Have you seen the full moon?  It's not too late!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!