Monday, January 29, 2024

January 27: A Bit of Shopping and an Evening at Merriman’s

One of the things I wanted to do in Maui was to find and buy some art by local artists.  Given my budget and the fact that I didn’t want to ship anything home, I had the best luck at a small shop here at the resort and at the Maui Swap Meet.  

Hawaiiislands.com

Intermingled with the food stands  and the many booths selling imported souvenirs were several displays actually manned by local artists who could demonstrate or explain their process and inspiration, and who were absolutely delighted if you expressed an interest and bought something.  I picked up several notecards with original watercolors, some tea towels designed by the artist, sea glass earrings, and a small flat glass dish which the person managing the booth told me that “my neighbor made the fused glass and his friend painted the octopus on it using a stencil.” That was good enough for me;  I really liked it and was glad to support a local maker.

That evening we had a sunset dinner at Merriman’s which is just a short walk from our room. It has a lovely setting right on the ocean and the food is creative and delicious.

Check out the relaxed looks on John and Ben’s faces.  It was that kind of heavenly experience.





And the sunset was pretty good, too!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!