Wednesday, February 7, 2024

February 7: Snow Days


We did get quite a bit of snow last weekend, officially 9" and it was heavy and icy! According to the BoulderCast web site "Boulder ... finished with a staggering 1.74″ of precipitation — good enough to claim top spot as our all-time wettest February storm. New records were also notched for February 3rd and the single wettest February day (1.58″ on both accounts)."

It was a record storm. We shoveled once during the storm, and Ben shoveled for two days after. Paul drove over and helped out, and he and Ben did two big sidewalks, shoveled out my car (my new Audio Q3 is the families official "snow car"), did the neighbor's sidewalks (they are several years old then we are), and then did Ray and Paula's since they are out of town. Whew!  That meant all three households were in compliance with the city laws to shovel all sidewalks with 24-hours of a snow storm.  On Sunday Ben shoveled our the neighbor's driveway, which was a slab of concrete with the heavy snow.  On Monday we navigated our Meals of Wheels route and rested, and on Tuesday Ben shoveled out our own driveway so we could get the Tesla out and get to our trash and recycle cans.  Finally, this morning Ben shoveled out the dog's path down the patio out to the yard, so they could come and go without bringing in so much icy water. 

Today we see from the weather forecast that we're set to get more snow this weekend, but we hope it is the light and fluffy and delightful kind and not the dreadful concrete snow we just got through.  

Here's a fun photo of tired out Ben and two sleepy dogs which I snapped Sunday when Paul came over and helped shove.  You'll note that he is awake; well, he is young! 


You may ask why the dogs are tired out. After all, they don't shovel and while I do walk them, those walks are much shorter when there's so much snow on the ground.  Well, they like to wear themselves out by ripping up their toys.  



All this destruction is apparently quite exhausting!


The pups like the snow.  It invigorates 12-year old Gus.  When it's hot he usually take short and plodding walks for just a half a block or so, but when it's cold and snowy he suddenly finds a renewed vigor and surprises you by going all the way around the block.  Young Turbo will go for a two or three mile walk in the snow but always finds a place to stop and rub his snout in the snowbanks. 



In all this snow our trip to Maui is a lovely remembrance.  I thought I'd show you this little wall hanging I made for my sister, Jean, to commemorate our trip to Maui in February 2023. 



I bought the center motif of dolphins in a quilt shop on The Big Island last October and set it into the blue solid background   I added the lovely border of Hawaiian flowers I had also purchased in the shop.  You may be able to see that the flowers are heavily quilted.  Jean was kind enough to send me these photos since I forgot to take them myself before I mailed wall hanging off to her. 

Here's the back, showing more of the quilting.  It was a lot of fun to make and a nice reminder of our good time together last year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!