Sunday, September 20, 2009

Signs of Autumn: Grandma's Pansies


My mother -- also called Grandma -- has planted her fall pansies around her crepe myrtle tree, a sure sign of Autumn. She particularly likes the unusual color of this orange one.



Grandma's crepe myrtle bush is as big as a tree. It stands right outside of her front door and she enjoys seeing pansies beneath it as she comes and goes out that door. They greet her all fall and winter and into the spring before they die off in the early summer heat.



All my life people have said that I look like my Mom. The older I get the more I hope that's true, since I'd like to be photographed looking this nice next to my flowers when I'm in my late 80's! I know I have a lot of her traits, including an interest in feeling happy whenever I come home and walk up to the front door. To that end, this weekend I scrubbed down the white porch railing and painted the back steps and door a pretty red. Seeing that cheery color against the gray house did make me smile when I got home from Grandma's.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I read "crepe myrtle" and was suddenly home again. That's one of the things we don't seem to have up here in Wisconsin - not to mention planting in the fall...that brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!