Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"I Knew It!"


We've never made a big fuss about Santa. We've never taken Paul to have his picture taken with Santa or encouraged him to write Santa a list. We've never threatened him with "You'd better be good or Santa won't bring you anything." Santa always brought him a few choice presents each year and we enjoyed tracking Santa's progress on the NORAD Santa Tracker site. We left out cookies for Santa and food for his reindeer and often found soot and dirt which Santa left behind. Last year Paul told us "I believe!" and he wrote Santa a thank-you note which we found months later in his room.

Ben and I were wondering what this year would bring and found out the other day when I had this conversation with Paul.

Paul: "I know that Santa Claus isn't real."

Me: "You do?"

Paul: "Yes. I know he doesn't bring me presents."

Me: "Really? How did you figure that out?"

Paul: "I know you and Dad are the ones who give me the presents that come from Santa."

Me: "Hmm. I guess you figured out that the story about how Santa flies all over the world in one night leaving presents for each child doesn't make much sense. You're right; parents are the real Santa Claus."

Paul: (triumphantly) "I knew it!!!"

Me: "But just because you know doesn't mean you won't get any presents from Santa. "

Paul: (happily) "Okay!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!