Sunday, May 20, 2012

In the Garden

Check out this ladybug I found on our freshly picked spinach.  Isn't it cute?


The square foot gardens that Ben and Paul built me last year for Mother's Day have made it very easy to garden in this year, despite the surge of end-of-the-school-year activity that's been making life so interesting lately.  I got some lettuce, spinach, and pea seeds planted during a warm spell in February and we're enjoying the rewards of that burst of industry.  It didn't make a lot of sense to plant many vegetables to harvest this summer since we'll be away for three to four weeks and I doubt our house sitter is going to want to go out in the heat and humidity to weed, water, and pick while we're gone, so I planted dahlias and just a few basil and cherry tomato plants.  Oh, and two eggplants for Ben. 
 
My sweet Ben deserves eggplants straight from the garden since he contributes so much in the way of digging and general maintenance.  


It's Ben's birthday tomorrow and we're celebrating today since tomorrow promises non-stop activity.  Doesn't he look great?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!