Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Piece of the Action


Paul's 6th grade homeroom won the school's flag football playoff game yesterday!

To say that Paul hasn't been interested in team sports is a bit of an understatement, but last year he and a friend played for the school's flag football competition. His friend decided not to play this year, saying that the other kids wouldn't pass him the ball. But Paul had a good enough time that he signed up again this year even without his friend's company.

The school has an "anyone who wants to can play" policy which means that kids like Paul get a chance to get a little piece of the action. But the fact that a student is allowed to play doesn't mean that they get to play, a distinction that I'm sure everyone with kids in sports understands. So I was pleasantly surprised to see Paul actually on the field during the games I attended and even more pleased when he occasionally was passed the ball and managed to catch it and run a bit.

Honestly, I think anyone who can catch a fast flying ball is incredible, and I had nothing but sympathy for the kids (little 5th grade girls) I saw who shied away when that missile came flying at them. Even though I wouldn't have blamed him, Paul didn't do that. He didn't do much ball handling, but the experience of being on the team -- dealing with very sports-minded kids and going to all the games --was a great one.

Actually winning this big trophy was just the icing on the cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!