Sunday, September 23, 2012

National Book Festival


Yesterday was the first day of Autumn.  It was still hot, but you could see signs of fall if you looked for them.  

In the afternoon I went down to the National Book Festival on the mall.  I had just talked up the Festival to two days of classes and wanted to see for myself what the scene was like.  I hadn't been down for it in quite a while.  It was a pretty day, with brilliant blue skies making a wonderful contrast against the white tents.  


 I listened to Geraldine Brooks' talk and heard some of Jerry Spinelli's.


I had decided not to get any books signed, but I checked out the line for Jeff Kinney, author of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. It was long!  Here is the line as it approached his table:


Here is part two of the line:


And part three, waiting patiently on the other side of the path down the mall.  



And finally, here is the end!  He was scheduled to sign books from 3:00-4:00 and I took these photos at 3:30.  The person holding the sign told me that he said he'd stay to sign until 5:30 and expected to get through everyone who was in line in front of the sign.  Whew!  



I came home and had a very pleasant evening grilling and eating outside with Ben's brother and his family.  A cold front was moving in, making the night air cool and bug-free.  

This morning we are enjoying wonderful autumnal weather, crisp and cool.  Basking in the aftermath of a great evening with friends, I'm anticipating a beautiful day. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!