Tuesday, September 17, 2013

At the Cemetery

My mother died two years ago today and Jean and I went to Cheltenham Veterans Cemetery where she and Dad are buried to decorate their shared grave with flowers.   The flags were at half mast to honor the victims of the shooting at the Navy Yard in D.C. yesterday, which was sobering to see.     



The grounds and grave marker were nicely maintained and it was quite pretty out there on this cool and breezy autumn day. Jean had bought fall flowers and I had cut some summer dahlias from my garden, so we decided to combine them into two vases, one for each parent.  They looked very happy and colorful.


Later, Jean and I sat on a bench and visited while we shared a sandwich lunch.  Jean told me about her trip to New England and we got caught up with each other's lives.   Before we left we made a last visit to the grave.  As we approached we noted how the two vases had tilted towards each other so it looked like they were holding hands.  It seemed very fitting since our parents did love each other and believed their love would continue after death.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!