Monday, April 27, 2015

"Pikes Peak or Bust!"

My sister, Jean, and I spent the weekend in Manitou Springs right outside of Colorado Springs.  It is the home of several attractions, including Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods. 

We loved seeing the amazing rock formations at the Garden of the Gods. 


Do you see the birds up on the top of the rocks?  They were fun to watch. 


The views of Pikes Peak from the Garden of the Gods visitor center were breathtaking.


But the real thrill was taking the Cog Railway up to the 14,000 foot summit of Pikes Peak.  The beginning of the rail ride featured a scenic ride through a dramatic rock canyon.  As we climbed the views opened up and we could see off the side of the mountain, which was very pretty.  Then it began snowing and the mist obscured the view and we entered an area of deep snowbanks.  It was exciting to see the snow on both sides of the train as high as the windows.


The crews had managed to clear the tracks up to 12,500 feet, but then the train had to stop.  We didn't reach the summit but that was okay with us since we were all feeling the altitude and the snow was so lovely.   It was a great trip.


It's such fun having Jean here.  Tomorrow we are going into Denver to see the Denver Museum of Science and Nature, which I know Jean will enjoy.  She flies home on Tuesday morning and it will be sad to see her go.  

4 comments:

  1. you two look so much alike! LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary - I love your blog, but I especially loved this one since it's all about you and me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mary - I always enjoy your blog, but I especially enjoyed this one since it's about you and me! Love You!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!