Thursday, March 28, 2019

A Happy Weekend


I was in northern Kentucky this past weekend to see my two brothers and my sister for a little reunion.   On Saturday afternoon I went into Louisville-- pronounced "Looavul," if you please! -- to check out the sights.  

There was the world's largest baseball bat (because the factory that makes the Louisville Slugger bat is right on Main Street)..  


...and a golden replica on Michelangelo's David (I don't know why!)


I had a beautiful and refreshing Italian Cream Soda at the famous whiskey/bourbon bar, Proof on Main....


...where I also saw an intriguing display of art, including a series of agricultural workers made in fabric, sequins, and trims by fiber artist Lina Puerta.  It's always fun to run into appealing art when you're not expecting to. 

art by Lina Puerta
art by Lina Puerta 

Louisville has many old historic buildings which have survived as the city grew.  In some cases, only the facade remains, but it still made for interesting viewing.   



Since we were all together we were happy to celebrate my sister's birthday.  Sixty-six years old and she's still the baby of the family. 


I arrived back home to find lovely spring weather in store for most of the week.   Most of our bulbs didn't survive the upheaval of building the patio last spring, but I was surprised and pleased to find a few bright crocus near the front door and they had opened up to welcome me home! 


A
Linking to my friend, Lee Anna's, "I Like Thursday" blog, celebrating the small but important joyful aspects of daily life as a counterpart to the constant drum roll of news and politics. 


5 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! Ahh, my nephew visited Looavul a few years ago and was SO excited to see the huge Slugger bat. I think he took 100 pictures of it from every angle. I told him it would have been more interesting to see him smiling in some of the photos - how times can you enjoy a picture of a bat??!! Ahh, the crocus in bloom - so pretty and delicate. A nice welcome home! And your sister looks like she was having a wonderful day celebrating with her peeps. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was fun, thanks for the pics this morning. Lucky to see a flower out already. Nothing growing here at all. Love the facade but sad such an architectural beauty is falling down...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought it was Loo-EE-vile so I'll have to work on saying it the correct way. Enjoyed all your photos of the city. Beautiful crocuses! Glad some survived to welcome you home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun to visit Louisville - lots of interesting sights to see! Your crocuses are sure pretty! All of mine are yellow - I should plant some purple ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting landmarks in Louisville. Your crocus plants look so pretty.
    mary

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!