Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Four Things I'm Liking Right Now

1.  We have our new puppy, Turbo, and are enjoying him very much!

He's a real cutie, with curly reddish brown hair and fun splashes of white on his chest, nose, toes, and tail.  He'll end up about 35 pounds and about 20" tall,  just perfect for our lifestyle.  

He's kept us very busy these past eleven days, requiring a great deal of supervision as we get housebreaking underway and teach him what's allowed and what isn't in our house.  


Paul is a natural with dogs and the two guys are great chums, though Paul definitely is the Alpha dog.  He does short daily training sessions with Turbo to start teaching the little dude important things like the useful command "sit."  


Turbo is getting plenty of socialization, including meeting That Handsome Dog Gus.  


2.   Being such a fan of The Handmaid's Tale I had to buy Margaret Atwood's sequel, Testaments, and read it in two days flat (thankfully, Turbo takes a lot of naps.)  I really enjoyed it.  Unlike Season 2 and 3 of the TV series, Atwood's story is more of a griping adventure and less a depressing slog from one horror to another.   I was actually smiling at the end of this book!  


3.  My garden is showing signs of the approaching autumn, which I like.  It's been hot but the sedum is blooming now, always lovely in the fall.   Cooler weather is definitely ahead, as we will only be in the 70's this weekend.  We've already put one fan away and closed a few windows at night.


4. I made a push to complete a Quilts for Kids kit that I had picked up at a guild meeting a while back.  It's a Halloween quilt featuring a big center panel; all I had to do was sew on the borders, do the quilting, and bind it.  The quilting was extensive as it had to no greater than 2" apart so it will hold up in the industrial washing machines used by the hospitals,  but it was fun.  I got it done the other day and passed it back to the Quilts for Kids coordinators who will get it to a hospitalized child in time for the holiday.  That was a good feeling!



Linking to my friend LeeAnna's "I Like Thursdays" at Not Afraid of Color

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! What a heart stealer Turbo is! And GUS - he IS a handsome dog. What does Gus think of the addition of Turbo? Or maybe Gus isn't yours? The sedum is lovely and ours is blooming as well. I need to take a photo! Your Halloween quilt is wonderful and I'm sure it will be well loved and bring great comfort to a child. Happy Thursday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turbo is just too cute. Oh, those beautiful flowers. Kids are going to love that quilt. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Turbo is adorable! He sounds like he will be the perfect size. I haven't read Margaret Atwood's books yet, but I'm putting them on my list. Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable little puppy! I have Testaments on my reading list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pup is cute. Love the flowers and your quilted piece is great and some lucky kid will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning, Mary. Just reread through some past posts to learn more about Turbo. I gushed about his cuteness to Hubby and showed his photo, then had to reassure Murphy (our Black Lab) that she was not in any danger of having to put up with a puppy...yet. Also thanks for the book recommendations and the Series, Succession. We will definitely look that one up.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!