Thursday, January 16, 2020

Seven Things Making Me Smile Right Now

Photo by Paul Mealey

1.  The first thing making me smile right now is Turbo, of course!  He's six months old now and is turning out to be great dog.  Loves people, loves other dogs, easy to train, and has a calm and confident temperament.  Too bad his guardians aren't the same!     



He is very cute.  People are always saying, "My, he is really cute," and all I can say back is  "Yes, he sure is!" And he really does respond to people.  I'm thinking he might do some work as a therapy dog when he is older since just seeing him prance towards them makes folks smile.  


Being a dog owner is hard work and takes a lot of time.  I think I'm outside with him about two hours a day, and then there are other disadvantages, as reflected in this little poster I found on Facebook.  


Luckily for me, I have Ben and Paul to help.  Ben enjoys Turbo, and Paul and Turbo are especially close as Paul not only helps train him but snuggles with him and generally hangs out with him.  





 2. The beauty around me.  The other day I realized that when we kept the shade open on the upstairs north facing window I'd see this view of the Sanitas mountains when I awake each morning.  What a great way to start the day.


3.  And then there was the full moon the other night.  One great side benefit to having a dog is that when you take them out at night to "do their business" you see the night sky.  I think otherwise I wouldn't have even known there was a full moon. 


4.  Diann over at  Little Penguin Quilts turned me onto the Virgin River book series by Robyn Carr and I've been enjoying it.  I guess they are romance novels, but there's more in them than sex, and even that is portrayed from a more feminist view than what I imagine most are.  I'm up to book 4 and am glad there are many more ahead of me.  (The Netflix series based on this one is good, but has a a very different plot. )


On her blog Diann also recommended Jennifer Robson's historical novel, The Gown, which I also enjoyed. 



5. I'm loving this Brighton wallet that my generous sister, Jean, sent me for Christmas. She said it reminded her of all the wonderful traveling we've done together, and, indeed, today when I got it out while grocery shopping -- have I ever told you how I really dislike grocery shopping?-- it cheered me up to have that reminder. 


6.  And speaking of traveling, I smile every time I think about how Ben and I are going to Maui soon!  Not only do I anticipate the pleasure of the trip, but I remember what a great time we had there in July of 2018 to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.  Since we'll be there in the winter this trip, we'll see the humpback whale migration, which should be cool.


7.  To end, I'd like to say a word of praise for clean sheets.  Ben is away ice climbing this week and both Sheba and I are missing him at night.  She's been given a heated blanket to sleep on since she doesn't  have Ben's chest to snuggle into. And I have clean sheets to make my night sweeter.   Not the same as having Ben there, but pretty good!



Linking to my friend LeeAnna's "I Like Thursdays" at Not Afraid of Color



5 comments:

  1. really terrific! Sheeba is so cute too! Glad you brought her into the fold. LOVE clean sheets too. Turbo is so sweet as is the pic of him in Paul's lap. You told me about the show which I liked a lot, but maybe I should also read the book series. Did you watch The Crown series? We haven't watched the latest season yet, with new actors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! I have conquer with all the other folks sharing the opinion that Turbo is cute. And that picture of him prancing toward the camera does make me smile. I want to get down and say, come here and give me a kiss. Here's a treat for you! Aww, that photo of Paul and Turbo is just priceless - and what pretty hair Paul has. They kind of match in that regard! Aww, poor Sheba. You'll both be glad when Ben returns! I don't even need to say it but will anyway - enjoy Maui. How could you not?! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're enjoying books I've recommended! We watched the Virgin River series on Netflix, and it was okay if you didn't know the books. I kept saying to Mike, "That's not how it is in the book!" Your Turbo is adorable, and it sounds like he would make a good therapy dog. I like your view out the window! We definitely do live in a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great smile. Turbo is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good Mary! Lots of wonderful stuff there. Life with Turbo (and Sheba—great name) must be a lot of fun. Ben is ice climbing? Ice climbing? Wow, I’m very impressed!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!