Saturday, January 25, 2020

Around Here

Around here it's a busy day since we're off to Maui early tomorrow morning and have to get our final chores done.  I may post some photos of our trip on Facebook and/or Instagram (under spikeyfetcher), so check there if you're interested.  

Around here Turbo hit a few exciting milestones.  He made his first "big hike" the other day, a 5 miler up the Bluebell-Baird and the Enchanted Mesa trails in Chautauqua, and he received the "Voice & Sight" tag which allows him to start training for walking off leash on many of the Boulder Open Space trails.  He's getting to be a big boy!


Turbo also went to the groomers for the first time and survived the experience, although he came back all combed out and very fluffy.  The groomer assured me that he would revert back to the "shaggy dog" look that I like so much, and indeed he did after a week or so.  But in the interim, we had fun commenting on his new look.

Here's the beautifully groomed pup, affectionately nicknamed  "Floofy"....


...and here is our wonderful Turbo back to his shaggy self.


Around here I finally parted with the flower quilt I started way back last spring, giving it to my lovely sister-in-law Dawn, who loves flowers and bright colors, so it was a perfect match. 


Around here I was surprised and thrilled that my quilt "Maker's Mark" was accepted into "Portfolio 2020--the Best of 2019," an online exhibition featuring work by members of the Front Range Contemporary Quilters.   If you scroll to the bottom of the group's home page you'll find Portfolio 2019 and can see the high quality of work that was accepted into last year's show.  My entry last year wasn't accepted, so I was very pleased that I made it in this year.  And I was gratified to get an "atta girl" for Maker's Mark, which I do think is a good piece.


Here's what I wrote about it for the juror: 

I was inspired to create this original design after visiting Moab, Utah, and seeing again the original rock art of the prehistoric and historic people of the region.  Their impulse to leave their mark continues in today’s fabric artists.  Our tools for making our marks include the stamping, machine stitching, hand stitching, and painting, which are part of this piece.  It also reflects our modern interest in reusing materials, as the three blocks were originally part of another quilt I made and recycled into this artwork.


Around here we've had a series of home management problems, all needing attention before our trip.  Doesn't it seem to work out that way?   Just when we got all the holiday decorations put away and the house cleaned up again the pendent lights in the kitchen stopped working properly, the water filter needed changing, we had to hand water our trees and bushes since we hadn't had any rain for over a month, and the lock to our patio door gave out.  It took about a week of fiddling with the darn thing before we declared defeat and called a locksmith.  For some reason he didn't want to install a new one and instead he secured the lock and ordered a part, which we're still waiting for.  Meanwhile, there's no using the patio door, which is, of course, the door the pup goes in and out of all day long.  Well, it will be fixed by the time we're back and meanwhile Paul and Turbo will go in and out the basement door.  


It won't be my problem; I'll be in Maui laying on a beach, or snorkeling, or eating fabulous food, or watching the sunrise from the top of Mount Haleakala, or ...

Well, I'll tell you all about it when I get back! 

Meanwhile, here's a fun photo of the turtles on Ho'okipa beach which we took on our last trip.



2 comments:

  1. Mary: We like shaggy Turbo better, too! And your quilt is lovely--congratulations on it and on your statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turbo is a wonderful companion! I bet he was tired after that hike. Congratulations on getting your Maker’s Mark piece accepted into Portfolio. That’s great!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!