Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Shutdown



Like many places right now, Boulder is under a "stay at home" order.  On Monday, right before the shutdown began, Ben and I did our regular weekly Meals on Wheels route, ran a few errands, and picked up a carryout lunch from Pearl Street mall.   Already the usually bustling streets were almost empty, with just a few homeless folks sitting around, a few walkers, and small groups of what looked like "at loose ends" tourists.

We ordered curbside service from Zoe Ma Ma's, a very popular place which usually has a long line out the door and crowds at the counter seating inside and out.  On Monday at 2:00 we were about the only customers.



Our grocery stores are well stocked except for toilet paper, flour, and mac & cheese, so we aren't hurting for food.  We can even get delicious meals from several of the great local restaurants, though we have to pick it up and eat at home.


The stay at home order specifies "no private gatherings" and for the moment anyway we are alone at home with no company.  This is tough; I really miss the casual visiting with friends and family that we've enjoyed since we've come to Boulder.  Last Friday was the last of such pleasures, when Ray and Paula and That Handsome Dog Gus were over.  I always love to see Paul in action with the two dogs,  keeping them occupied with some well-timed training sessions while the owners visit.

Do you see how long Paul's hair is?  Barbers, hair salons, and dog groomers are all closed for the duration, which is going to make for some interesting new styles around town! 


One of sad fallouts of all this is that my trip to DisneyWorld with my wonderful sister Jean her for her birthday had to be cancelled.   I sent her this cute Mickey Mouse jacket as a promise that we'll take that trip sometime in the future. 


In my last post I mentioned that we were due for a snowstorm, and we sure got one.  Eight inches of heavy wet snow fell the end of last week, leaving behind some pretty scenery.  Here's a photo from an early morning hike I took with Paula and Gus after the storm.  We were the first to break this part of the trail!


There were reports that we might get another three inches this Friday but now I see that's been downgraded to just a wet and grey day, so that's good.  After the big storm we did get some outdoor fun in while trying maintain the proper 6-feet of "social distancing."   I guess this photo is evidence of how that didn't always work despite good intentions!


The snow is all gone now and we've had some lovely warm sunny days.  Ben and I tried a new hiking area out north of town the other day and found ourselves in the middle of a field full of prairie dogs.  You can't see them in this photo but their dens are all over the right side of the picture.


As you can imagine, Turbo was quite interested in these new critters, and we had to show him the sign that said "No chasing!"


Well, I'm linking this post to my friend LeeAnna's "I Like" Thursdays, so here's a few things I'm enjoying now.

Now that we are actually in the shutdown and not just running errands to get ready for it I hope Ben and I can move ahead in watching Babylon Berlin on Netflix.  It's set in pre-Nazi Berlin and is dark enough that we can only handle one episode at a time.  It has several seasons, so we have something interesting to watch for a while. 


I also have plenty to read, as I'm slowly making my way through Donna Leon's mystery series featuring Guido Brunetti, a police commissioner in Venice.


The next season of Outlander on Starz is well underway and while I was exploring Starz offerings the other day I found a cute, light  movie to enjoy called New in Town.  If you have Starz and are in the mood for something fun, check it out. 


Looks like the coming weeks will bring tons of time to sew, garden, walk, read, and watch shows, if only I can make myself stop following the news all the time.  And, of course, if we don't get sick.  

Linking to my friend LeeAnna's "I Like Thursdays" at Not Afraid of Color


4 comments:

  1. New in Town is one of our favorites. Admittedly, being from Minnesota, it goes a bit over-the-top on the accents, but not too much, depending on what part of Minnesota you're from. I would like having snow one day, gone the next here in Minnesota, but spring is coming and today the sun is shining. At least we can go outside while sheltering in place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shutdowns are crazy. I needed a haircut, too, just before this all happened. At least since it's already long, a bit longer won't matter! The snow is pretty. I'm sure it will melt soon. Turbo is such a wuzz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are coping with the shut down. Look like you have some awesome areas to hike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw new in town. That pic of Paul holding Turbo is adorbs

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!