Wednesday, March 18, 2020

What a Difference a Week Can Make

Last Wednesday night Ben and I were at Boulder High watching the spring musical that Paul had worked on.  During intermission we learned that the NBA had cancelled its season after several players tested positive for the Coronavirus, that the President was closing air travel from Europe to the US (except, we later learned, for US citizens) and that Tom Hanks had tested positive for the virus.   

On Friday the stock market fell so much that even I knew about it. Over the next few days, the news only go worse.  It's hard to shop, all clubs, groups, and social gatherings have been cancelled, and the economy is in disarray.  We can't go out to eat and while that's shocking, it's even worse to think of all the wait staff and bar tenders we like who are out of work.  Travel, including my trip to DisneyWorld for my sister's birthday, is cancelled or suddenly up in the air.

It's unbelievable. Life as we knew it is gone, at least for a while, and it disappeared fast.  Here's just one example:

Last Wednesday when I went to the allergy clinic at the local medical center for my shot I saw many people wearing face masks, but that was about all that was different.  When I returned on Monday for another shot I was surprised to see that I had to stop at a little tent by the entrance and answer several question proffered by a nurse:  Had I been out of the country recently?  Had I been in any of the five high mountain counties experiencing high rates of the virus?  Did I have contact with anyone sick with the virus?  Did I feel sick?  Did I have a cough?  To the last question I wryly replied that yes, I do have a chronic cough which was why I was here to get an allergy shot.  They let me enter and the center seemed less crowded than usual and the chairs in the clinic's waiting room were spaced a bit further apart.

Today when I went in I was again screened but upon hearing that I (still) had a chronic cough I was given a face mask and told to wear it, the medical center was practically empty, and the there were only five chairs in the waiting room with plenty of space between them.  What a difference a week made.  I'm wondering if I'll even get any shots next week.   I expect at some point the medical center's priorities will not include keeping the allergy clinic manned. 


But we can still go outside and the weather has been lovely.  Hikes with friends are the social norm now as long as you remember to keep your distance.  Dog walkers still stop and chat, just not so close to you.   I'm increasingly grateful for our patio and somewhat private yard.   

Sara and me hiking with Turbo in South Park  

Being outside does "bring solace in all troubles," as Anne Frank said. 



A spring snowstorm is passing through tomorrow and is expected to leave five to eight inches of heavy wet snow which should melt quickly.  I hope it will give us a change of focus for at least the day.  


4 comments:

  1. It really is helpful to be able to get outside and get in a walk or hike in the sunshine with all of this worry and anxiety piling on! Most of the Spring high school musicals didn't go on at all in our area, and I felt so, so bad for the kids. Glad the Boulder High kids got to perform one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot has changed in one week for us too! But I'm thankful we can get out and hike often! It sure helps! Stay healthy and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we will all be focused a bit more on the outdoors (since we'll go stir crazy being cooped in!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are one week now in self isolation as our Health Care Clinic had advised...we are both in the over 60 higher risk category, even though no cases in our nearest town. It is weird to be part of a world wide experience like this.We live on 12 acres so walk twice a day and so grateful for that and having enough here to keep us busy. Enjoyed reading your post and do hope you can keep up your allergy shots. Take care now.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!