Wednesday, April 29, 2020

A Few Things I'm Liking


A thing about nature that I like is how it can be so changeable.  On April 15 we had another big snowfall, which left about a foot of very wet snow.  But as happens so often with spring snows, within days the sun had melted it all.  Now we are experiencing a little heat wave with temps in the mid 80's expected tomorrow.  But next week it should only be in the 60's.  And we often get snow on Mother's Day.  It certainly keeps you on your toes! 


The shutdown continues this week, though Boulder is moving towards reopening.  I loved that my sewing machine repair shop is taking repairs by appointment.  No sooner had my Bernina been serviced but my old Pfaff needed attention, so I was glad I could get them both fixed up.

 As the weeks have gone by I realize how much I’ve missed the casual dropping in and out visits with friends, hugging people, doing spontaneous errands and shopping, walking downtown to dinner,  and going to art exhibitions and craft shows.   It's beginning to be clear that fun that involves crowds will be one of the last pleasures to return.

But still there is much to appreciate.  Spring has begun and that's added a lot of joy to the days. 

One of my favorite things right now is sitting in the yard or on the patio with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.  I keep an eye on Turbo as he moseys around, I listen to the birds, and watch the passing street scene.  The hummingbirds are back; life does go on. 


Sometimes as I sit outside I think about the virus and all the changes it has brought.  I'm struck by the loneliness of so many of the deaths and wonder if I would agree to go on a ventilator.  I’ve lived a longer life than so many people, and I've certainly loved these past six years in Boulder.  Maybe I'd choose to go out on this high note rather than take my chances on a vent.  But things can go south quickly and you might miss your chance to make that choice if you wait until you are sick.  Well, I hope it won't come to that, and I do make an effort to think positively,  but  the virus is out there and we can't ignore its harsh realities. 

I'm enjoying being more relaxed about schedules, watching Ben do jigsaw puzzles, getting the house better organized,  doing easy and soothing  sewing masks for family and friends, and supporting local restaurants through curbside pickups and special menu evenings.  


A good thing about the shutdown is that the skies are cleaner and clearer without all the cars on the road.  And my, is it nice to drive with less traffic to contend with.  Boulder County Open Space folks say that traffic on our trails is high since everyone wants to be outside.  I can't say that I see a lot of difference since around here everyone always wants to be outside.  But then I have the luxury of being out either early or late in the day, when the trails are deliciously empty. 


Check out that Boulder Blue Sky!  And yes, that is me behind that mask!

Linking to my friend LeeAnna's "I Like Thursdays" at Not Afraid of Color


4 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, I enjoyed reading this wonderful post with my morning tea. Many of your sentiments are echoed here as we are of a certain age group. There is no easing here in Ontario yet and we are doing well with our activities. However, still lots to miss like the family. We are fearful about the future frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a blue sky...turbo is adorable as always and getting big. He's looking more like a dog not a puppy now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a sky! wow - you are having up and down weather. The things you miss are what I miss - you summed it up so well. I look forward to when we can start doing any of that. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely sky. Yep we had a high temp day then snow about 3-4 inches. Then the sun came out the next day and it was gone, but it was chilly for about a week. Lovely tulips, and your patio is gorgeous, what a great place to enjoy a cup of coffee or sip an adult beverage.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!