Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What I Love About My Job: Music and Art

Right across the hall from my library is the Art Room and the 5th/6th grade Band Room. I feel so lucky. The teachers are both interesting, fun, talented, nice people who enjoy their students, love their subjects, and are well prepared for their classes. I've learned a lot about teaching from them and I enjoy being around them. But even better, I'm in a great position to casually enjoy two of my favorite subjects.

Most of the day music of some sort pours, drifts, pounds, or floats (depending on what's being played) out of the music room and over to the library. Even when the kids are just learning their instruments or are starting a new piece and the music is not yet very good, I rarely close my door. Every class begins with the kids listening to the "piece of the week" and I rarely get tired of hearing that either. I guess it's a good thing I'm OK with all this music, since Paul will be playing in the 5th grade band next year and I'm sure to hear even more band music at home. Here he is trying out the flute under the capable direction of the band teacher.

If that wasn't enough, there's always something interesting going on in the art room. This week some impressive copies of artwork are on display in the hallway, including this colorful Gauguin. The painting was gridded and students were assigned specific grid sections to enlarge and reproduce using oil pastels. Then all the sections were put together to form a large replica of the work. Didn't this one turn out well?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!