Tuesday, August 28, 2018

A Birthday Weekend


My brother Glenn turned 70 on Saturday and we celebrated with a family reunion at his house in northern Kentucky.  My younger sister Jean flew in from Maryland, I came from Colorado, and my older brother Jim and his wife Kathy drove from Columbus, Ohio.  We were joined by my nephew Jonathan and most of his family, my niece Vickie and her family, and my other nephew Daniel and his family, so there was quite a crowd when we were all together.  Our family all gets along well and we enjoy each other's company, an unusual situation for which we are all grateful.  So it was great fun to see everyone and catch up.


On Thursday evening all the siblings and spouses reunited over a dinner out.  Friday night the whole gang gathered at a local ballpark to watch two independent teams play while we ate, visited, and generally enjoyed each other's company.  Glenn threw out one of the ceremonial "First pitches" and Jim had a great time chasing foul balls that headed our way.  The family decided that this photo should be captioned "The best day of my life!" 


There was some gentle teasing about how Kathy and I were on our cell phones so much; hey, we were just trying to find local fabric shops to visit!  We put them down to join in when the ballpark announcers asked our family to lead the stadium in singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th inning stretch.  They couldn't have picked a better family to take the lead since we're all either pretty good singers or don't mind hamming it up for the crowd.  

Saturday was the official birthday celebration which was at a very good restaurant next to a horse racing track.  After dinner most of the family headed over to the track where there was a free concert.   

Sunday was our last day together and the four siblings finally had a group photo taken.  

 

It was a good weekend and I was glad to see my extended family again.  Northern Kentucky has beautiful rolling countryside which was a pleasure to see, but, as you know, I'm quite in love with Boulder and was happy to return home, just in time for some lovely weather.  It's in the 70's today!    


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!